Sphere of Influence Update and Municipal Service Review Program
Approved Municipal Service Reviews
The Cortese-Knox-Hertzberg Local Government Reorganization Act of 2000 (Act) requires LAFCo to review and update, as necessary, each local agency’s Sphere of Influence (SOI) before January 1, 2008, and every five years thereafter. As part of the SOI update,
the Commission must consider and prepare a written statement of its determinations with respect to the following factors:
- The present and planned land uses in the area, including agricultural and open-space lands.
- The present and probable need for public facilities and services in the area.
- The present capacity of public facilities and adequacy of public services that the agency provides or is authorized to provide.
- The existence of any social or economic communities of interest in the area if the commission determines that they are relevant to the agency.
Prior to, or in conjunction with an agency’s SOI update, LAFCo is required to conduct a Municipal Service Review (MSR) for each agency. A MSR is a comprehensive review of an agency’s ability to provide municipal service(s) to those persons and businesses within its current boundaries and its SOI. Per the Act, the Commission is to prepare a written statement of its determinations with respect to each of the following points:
- Growth and population projections for
the affected area
- Present and planned capacity of public
facilities and adequacy of public services, including
infrastructure needs or deficiencies.
- Financial ability of agencies to
- Status of, and opportunities for,
- Accountability for community service
needs, including governmental structure and operational
- Any other matter related to effective
or efficient service delivery, as required by commission
In order to expedite completion of the SOI reviews/updates and MSRs for the 15 cities and special districts located in Fresno County, the Commission authorized the Executive Officer to enter into contract with two consulting firms to conduct these SOI reviews and MSRs. Should an agency’s MSR analysis determine that its existing SOI is not sufficient, and should be updated, the city or district will be required to submit an application, filing fee, environmental review documents, and other required materials so that an SOI update can be performed. (For text of the law, see the Government Code, Sections 56425 and 56430)